Skip to main content

Cyber Security

Cyber security protects data, devices, networks, people and programs from attack, theft, damage or any unauthorised access of any kind.

Cyber security awareness and skills are vital for the whole of society, and it's not just big organisations that need protected.

From an individual's perspective, we store lots of personal information on our devices, so it’s important we keep safe online, and any small company that has an online presence, or uses digital processes and tools, needs to ensure they are also cyber safe.

Cyber security facts

Among the 46% of businesses that identify breaches or attacks, one in five (19%) have experienced a material loss ie money or data

Cyber security facts

32% of businesses report being insured against cyber risks, either through a specific cyber insurance policy or as part of wider business insurance

Cyber security facts

A survey by the Federation of Small Businesses found that the average cost of cybercrime for its members was almost £3,000. That’s enough to wipe out a start-up’s working capital

Cyber security facts

Only about 3% of malware tries to exploit an exclusively technical flaw. The other 97% instead targets users through Social Engineering

Cyber security facts

There will be approximately 4 million unfilled cybersecurity jobs by the end 2021

Meet the experts

Click on a video below to hear directly from industry experts on the interesting careers available in cyber security.

Meet the experts - Jane


Digital World Champions - Mesomorphic


Meet the experts - Boclair Academy


Meet the Experts - Accenture


Meet the Experts – Ascent Cyber


Meet the Experts – Adarma


Meet the Experts – British Red Cross


Meet the Experts – SRBC


Cyber Security, Adam, Glasgow Clyde College


Cyber Skills, Joeri, Getronics


Meet the Experts – Balfour Beatty


Cybercrime Operations, Craig, Police Scotland


Working in Cyber Security, Heather, PWC


Tales from the IT Trenches, Rob, PWC